Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Guest Blogger Series - Noelle

Hey MCB fans! Hope you've been enjoying the Guest Blogger Series. Next victim, company member Noelle Lelakus. Read about her Tuesday, March 23!

Today I woke up at 7:15 a.m. and found the living room full of sunshine! My roommate Maggie had preset the coffeepot the night before, which is always good because our apartment has been known to be extra clumsy in the mornings. :) I watched the Today show and ate my oatmeal as always and carpooled to work with Christopher, my other roommate and fellow MCB company member.

We had Shannon for ballet class this morning, which provided us all with a bit of the “Soviet syllabus.” Her Russian classical training provides a great structure for getting on one’s leg in the center, and I felt extra solid turning today! After class, Karen and I did some troubleshooting over my pointe shoes being perpetually backordered, which was (thankfully) successful. Then it was time to rehearse Shannon’s trio to original music by Tom Andes for LIVE. Chris, Constanza, and I worked hard during the rehearsal slot before lunch, ironing out memory and technical problems in addition to plowing through more of the second section. It is the time everyone is starting to feel pressure over the upcoming performances; I am trying my hardest to remember to breathe and not let it affect my good sense! I just have to use my brain and apply the corrections as they come.

After delicious lunchtime, we went back in the studio for “Desperate Measures.” I am having loads of fun with my character in this piece (don’t want to ruin any surprises for our LIVE audience!). Let’s just say I am delightfully creepy and am using various TV/film characters in addition to people I have known as inspiration to make “Paula” come to life. I enjoy the challenge of telling a story and evoking dark humor onstage. The goal I have in mind is to be able to make my parents and friends from Ohio who will be in town for LIVE laugh while watching the piece!

3 o’clock rolled around quickly and we were thrilled to discover it was near 70 degrees outside! Chris and I headed home but stopped for happy hour at Sonic on the way (diet cherry limeades!). Then I took my VW over to the car wash because my dad wouldn’t be happy with me if I didn’t take care of that before he and my mom come out to visit. Tuesdays are one of the only weekdays I’m not teaching at Dance Studio of Columbia in the evenings so they are definitely the day of choice for errands. My roommates and I also had a slightly terrifying encounter with hairy mold growing in the bottom of our trash can once we were all home for the night - eek! Day then completed with a shower, decaf green tea, phone chat with my best friend Jo, and continuation of reading Jane Eyre. Successful Tuesday and looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments: