Monday, September 20, 2010

Meet the Dancers Series: Part One


Jason Stotz

Hello Bloggers!! Get excited about our 'Meet the Dancers Series'. This will give you a change to meet our new dancers and get reacquainted with our returning ones! If there is something else you would like to know about any of our dancers feel free to ask questions and dig a little deeper! Meet Jason:


Full name: Jason William Stotz
Age: 24
Hometown: Rochester, NY
College and location: University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Favorite TV show (s): Family Guy, Just about anything Discovery, History Channel, Planet Green, etc.
Favorite movie: American Beauty, Fight Club, Gladiator, Avatar
Favorite book: A New Earth, The Story of B, Life After Death
Favorite music: Ani, DMB, Jason Mraz, lots of dubstep and new age.
Most visited website: Google
Favorite places in Columbia: I don’t know yet, but I can’t wait to find out!
What are some of your expectations for the upcoming year with MCB? 
I try to have as few expectations as possible in life. I’m just grateful and excited to be dancing full time again!
If you could invite anyone to dinner, living or deceased, who would it be and why? 
Eckhart Tolle, Daniel Quinn, and Deepak Chopra. They are my three favorite authors and are absolutely brilliant. I would love to hear from their mouths what they are really all about. These three have a wealth of information on how to make the world a better place.
Favorite indulgence: 
Life! To wake up in the morning, to see the sunrise, to play with my dog, to laugh with friends, to play music, walk, run, dance, fly. There’s no greater pleasure than those we get to enjoy with each breath of life. You never know what’s just around the corner.
Craziest moment onstage:
Each year the Company at UB does a performance for the UB Scholarship Gala. We usually just do something fun and flashy, lots of old school swing and jazz. There were three relatively small stages and we were dancing on and around all three. Towards the end of the second number, I had a feature on a platform. I did a few fancy tricks and decided to end with a huge switch center leap off the platform down to the floor. Not the greatest idea. I even landed on two feet to take the pressure off landing on one, yet I had jumped too high and too far and felt a snap as I landed. As I ran around to the back for the next section I thought, boy… that kinda hurt… followed by, yeah… it’s still hurting… as I continued to dance through the 3rd number. Little did I know at the time that I had just broken my 5th metatarsal. The doctor told me I had 6 weeks in a cast end of story, when I had a company performance 6 weeks from that day. Unsatisfied with this verdict, I got a second opinion and got a boot instead. 4 weeks later I had willed myself to recovery and healed my way back into the performance. I didn’t get to do all the shows as the understudies needed to be rewarded for their work as well, but it meant the world to be able to do the show as it was my last performance with the company.
What do you like to do in your free time? I’ve recently fallen in love with reading. I was never a fan growing up, (aside from when I was addicted to Goosebumps as a kid) but I find myself so thirsty for knowledge these days. I also love anything active. Running, swimming, bike riding, roller blading, snowboarding, mountain climbing, hockey. Our bodies only hold their vitality for so long; I try to make the best of it while time permits.
Words to live by? "My true religion, my simple faith is in love and compassion. There is no need for complicated philosophy, doctrine, or dogma. Our own heart, our own mind, is the temple. The doctrine is compassion. Love for others and respect for their rights and dignity, no matter who or what they are - these are ultimately all we need."
Dalai Lama

No comments: